Kılıç Ali Paşa Mosque - Tophane - İstanbul
(Ottoman-Mimar Sinan)^______^ ♡♡♡♡
Characteristics of Jinn mentioned in the Qur’an, such as:
1. It is an entity that has been created from the flames of fire, unlike man, who has been created from earth:1
وَ خَلَقَ الْجَآنَّ مِنْ مَارِجٍ مِنْ نَارٍ
2. Possesses knowledge, perception, the faculty of logic, the power of reasoning, and can distinguish between truth and falsehood (various verses of Suratul Jinn).
3. Possesses (religious) obligations and responsibilities (verses of Suratul Jinn and al-Waqi’ah).
4. Some of them are believers while others are disbelievers:
وَ أَنَّا مِنَّا الصَّالِحُونَ وَ مِنَّا دُونَ ذٌلِكَ…
“There are among us some that are righteous, and some the contrary…”2
5. They shall be resurrected:
وَ أَمَّا الْقَاسِطُونَ فَكَانُوا لِجَهَنَّمَ حَطَباً
“And as to the deviators, they are fuel of hell.”3
6. They initially possessed the power to penetrate into the skies, eavesdrop and procure news but were later prohibited:
وَ أَنَّا كُنَّا نَقْعُدُ مِنْهَا مَقَاعِدَ لِلسَّمْعِ فَمَنْ يَسْتَمِعِ الآنَ يَجِدْ لَهُ شِهَاباً رَصَداً
“And that we used to sit in some of the sitting-places thereof to steal a hearing, but, he who would (try to) listen now would find a flame lying in wait for him.”4
7. They used to establish contact with some of the people and, by means of the limited knowledge of the Unseen that they possessed, endeavoured to misguide the people:
وَ أَنَّهُ كَانَ رِجَــالٌ مِنَ الإِِنْسِ يَعُوذُونَ بِرِجَالٍ مِنَ الْجِنِّ فَزَادُوهُمْ رَهَقاً
“And that persons from among men used to seek refuge with persons from among jinn, so they increased them in wrongdoing.”5
8. From amongst them there are those who, like some humans, possess great powers:
قَالَ عِفْرِيتٌ مِنَ الْجِنِّ أَنَا آتِيكَ بِهِ قَبْلَ أَنْ تَقُومَ مِنْ مَقَامِكَ
“One audacious among the jinn said: I will bring it to you before you rise up from your place; and most surely I am strong (and) trusty for it.”6
9. They possess the power to perform some of the tasks that are required by man:
وَ مِنَ الْجِنِّ مَنْ يَعْمَلُ بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِ وَ مَنْ يَزِغْ مِنْهُمْ عَنْ أَمْرِنَا نُذِقْهُ مِنْ عَذَابِ السَّعِيرِ يَعْمَلُونَ لَهُ مَا يَشَآءُ مِنْ مَحَارِيبَ وَ تَمَاثِيلَ وَ جِفَانٍ كَالْجَوَابِ
“And of the jinn there were those who worked before him by the command of his Lord; and whoever turned aside from Our command from among them, We made him taste of the punishment of burning. They made for him what he pleased of fortresses and images, and bowls (large) as watering-troughs and cooking-pots that will not move from their place.”7
10. Their creation on the earth was prior to man’s creation:
وَ الْجَآنَّ خَلَقْنَاهُ مِنْ قَبْلُ مِنْ نَّارِ السَّمُوْمِ
“And the jinn We created before, of intensely hot fire.”8
Suratul Rahman (55), Verse 15
Suratul Jinn (72), Verse 11
Suratul Jinn (72), Verse 15
Suratul Jinn (72), Verse 9
Suratul Jinn (72), Verse 6
Suratul Naml (27), Verse 39
Surat Saba (34), Verses 12, 13
Suratul Hijr (15), Verse 27
“And seek (Allah’s) assistance with Patience and Prayer; and truly it is extremely heavy and hard except for those with full submission. Who are certain that they are going to meet their Lord and that unto Him they are going to return.” 2:45-46
Numerous Prophetic traditions interpreted the ‘Patience’ in the Ayah as ‘fasting,’ which means fasting is the very first element of the spiritual journey to God. All the prophets in their spiritual journey have been seeking assistance with fasting.
1. Prophet Moses (SAW)
“I had gone up the mountain to receive the stone tablets, the tablets of the covenant which He had made with you; and I remained on the mountain 40 days and 40 nights without eating bread or drinking water. Then the Lord gave me the two stone tablets..”
2. Prophet Jesus (SAW)
In his spiritual journey was aided by fasting against the devil: “Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil, and after fasting 40 days and 40 nights he was hungry…”
It also appears from chapter 5 of the Gospel of Luke that the disciples would frequently fast and pray.
3. Prophet Muhammad(SAW)
The entire Qur’an was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) in the holiest night of the holiest month of Ramadhan; the month of fasting.
“The month of Ramadhan in which the Qur’an is revealed.” 2:185
“Indeed, We revealed it (the entire Qur’an) in the night of Measure.” 97:1
According to many Hadiths, the Torah was revealed to Moses on the 6th of Ramadhan, Injil was revealed to Jesus on the 12th of Ramadhan, Psalms of David revealed to him on the 18th of Ramadhan and the Holy Qur’an in the Night of Qadr (most probably 23rd of Ramadhan).
In other words, all revelations occurred during the fasting month of Ramadhan. Could it be any reason more important than the spirituality of fasting?